Breakfast needs to be ready quickly in my house. There’s not time to faff about preparing anything. Grab and eat is best, so this summer porridge recipe I found in my current food bible, The Family Cooks, ticks all the boxes.
I’ve often intended to prepare a week’s worth of bircher muesli in advance but have never gotten around to gathering all the ingredients and getting organised enough to do it. This recipe has a similar principle, but is much simpler, and I’ve added in a couple of shortcuts of my own – a bought muesli, and frozen berries.
- Air tight jars (I use three 500ml Kilner jars)
- A cup of rolled oats, or raw muesli. I use Wessex Mill’s The Millers Muesli.
- 3 cups of Greek yoghurt. I prefer full fat, it just tastes better.
- Two large apples, grated.
- 3 tablespoons of honey.
- A cup of frozen berries. I always have frozen raspberries and blueberries in the freezer.
Mix it all together in a large bowl. Spoon into your jars and store in the fridge. Breakfast, done. If I’m really rushed I can just grab this from the fridge and take it with to eat at work.
My jars are big enough for these portions to feed both Poppet and I for our three work/nursery mornings a week, but she despite the fact she likes all these ingredients separately she’s decided she doesn’t like them together. All the more for me!
Do you have any great grab and go breakfast ideas? Please share them below.